Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Driving back to Oregon

Driving back to Eugene - January 21st

I have had a lot of band members over the last couple of years. Though I have loved them all - this group of people is my favorite. I think it has a lot to do with the bonding experience of being on the road and really becoming a group. As well, this is the "sound" i want to keep - the Folk/Rock/Jazz/Funk blend. Every person adds more than their fair share to this band and I feel like this is the perfect unique blend of musical influences which also really compliments my songs.

I started talking about wanting to keep this group together early in the tour. I felt that way from the first Placerville show. I want to continue to build upon this group because i think it has a lot of potential and i think that the musical personalities fit together just right. Responding to this thought, Max tried to convince me that I would find good players wherever i located myself and have just as good if not better of a group but I really don't think this is true.

It's possible that as individuals we aren't the best players - but when this group comes together and brings their musicianship to these songs i truly believe it is something special. There is strength in coming together as musicians and over time learning how to work together and how to best play as a group.

My favorite part about this group though is that we are all friends and have a great time together on and off stage. Jonathan mentioned to me the other day that he's played in a lot of bands but none have had this energy and this much fun onstage. I believe that it is one thing to be great musicians but another to have a great energy and ability to work together as a group.

and i dont think that is something you can find anywhere.

we have plans to record an album of previously released songs like the ones we are playing on this tour with this band in the coming months.

No comments: